Join our team!
2 rue Sainte-Catherine, room 301
Position: Gallery and Communications Assistant
Deadline to apply: April 11 2019, with interviews held as of April 15 2019.
Start date: late April 2019
Conserve documentation on art for research on site and online
Support research in our collection
Present exhibitions, new works and public programmes
Publish art historical texts, anthologies and artists’ books
All of our activities are linked to the permanent collection and to current issues in visual and print culture in contemporary art.
Artexte wishes to hire a Gallery and Communications Assistant who will ensure public engagement with the organization’s exhibitions and activities, their proper unfolding, as well as the organization’s cross-platform visibility.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure public access to the exhibition space and the communications pertaining to the organization’s exhibitions and activities;
- Provide vigilance in overseeing the exhibition space while ensuring the safety of both the public and the works;
- Open and close the exhibitions morning and night;
- Ensure the proper functioning of the exhibition’s technical aspects (i.e. lighting, audiovisual apparatuses, exhibition booklets and publications, internet connection, etc.) while informing the exhibitions coordinator of any persistent issues;
- Ensure the cleanliness of the exhibition space;
- With the exhibitions coordinator and the guest curator or artist, determine the best approach for group visits and exhibition information;
- Conduct group visits both in English and in French;
- Execute the promotion of educational activities and produce the introductory and promotional texts derived from master documents produced by the exhibitions coordinator;
- Assist in the coordination of exhibitions (purchase of equipment and materials, access to the space)
- Compile an archive file for each exhibition (press file, artist list, exhibition layout, identification of photographs, event list, etc.);
- Oversee the proper workings of the conference room equipment. Will be the contact person in the event of technical issues.
- Be the public voice of the institution;
- Answer telephone calls;
- Ensure that all the organization’s internal activities are properly scheduled (openings, conferences, etc.), harmonizing activities and communications with neighbouring institutions within the Art Actuel 2-22 building (incl. VOX, RCAAQ), as well as with other co-owners of the building, when appropriate;
- Update the website according to existing strategies and assist in the development of promotional and technological tools when needed;
- Update mailing lists and generate mass mailings from Artexte’s contact list on Mailchimp;
- Oversee the organization’s social media platforms and generate content in relation to activities (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter);
- Manage emails to the organization and dispatch as needed.
Administration and Operations:
- Order supplies;
- Compile weekly and monthly statistics on activities and communications;
- Punctual support in administrative matters;
- Ongoing office management tasks (filing, physical file management)
- Other tasks according to the need.
We are seeking a bilingual candidate who is deeply knowledgeable about Montreal’s cultural and artistic communities and who manifests a keen interest in contemporary art.
The chosen candidate will demonstrate:
- Experience in communications in the arts with significant responsibilities, or a similar experience;
- Exceptional language skills, written and oral, in both French and English and an ability to proofread the communications of other staff;
- A keen attention to detail along with the ability to manage the schedule of activities and concurrent tasks;
- An awareness of issues in the cultural sector;
- An interest in the creation of partnerships;
- An enthusiasm for teamwork and collaboration with diverse groups;
- Advanced knowledge of social media networks and mass communication tools;
- Abilities in both problem solving and management of multiple priorities under pressure in an evolving environment with tight deadlines and turnaround times.
Artexte is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity.
Wage: Beginning hourly wage of 16,50$. This is a part-time position of 28 hours/week with a fixed schedule from Wednesday through Saturday, 11am until 7pm, with exceptions for special events.
A current CV
A cover letter of no more than 500 words, indicating your interest in working at Artexte and how you meet the essential criteria
Apply by email with Gallery and Communications Assistant in the subject line to: email@example.com.
Please attach your application in one PDF file only.
Kindly note that we will only contact applicants who are invited to interview will be contacted.
Deadline will be open until the position is filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis between April 1 and 11 2019.